Welcome


Never a dull moment at the Blair household! Check back often or sign up to get email notices so you can stay up on what's happening in this crazy little life!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Request Withdrawn

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on my post from last week regarding a flexible work arrangement. Like I mentioned, I got the initial "go-ahead" and had to put together a formal business case/proposal. So I did....and I did it honestly. I proposed my new work schedule which was to work 2 hours from home in the afternoon because I wanted to be available to my 5-year-old when he got out of school for the day. I did my write up and turned it in to my manager.

Later that day, she pulled me into a conference room and said "While I understand your request, this isn't going to fly with HR." So we discussed what would "fly" and without saying so, I came to the understanding that I couldn't be honest. I would need to come up with something else. I quickly racked my brain...what I could I say that would sound good? Then it hit me. I've been praying to God that His will would be met. Whether it meant that I got to do this or not, I wanted Him to be served. Would lying be His will? It's one of the 10 Commandments, so surely it would not be His will, right?

So I went home that night and thought about it and prayed about it some more. The next day, I withdrew my request. I felt like lying wasn't the way to go. I'm a terrible liar. I would have to tell other lies to protect that one, and I'm not good at that. Plus, I realized that just because I'm physically home with JD, doesn't mean I'm "available." I know that I'd be under a microscope since this type of work schedule had never been done before - they'd want to make sure I was doing a good job, being productive and actually working instead of paying attention to my child.

So in the long run, I think it would be best if I work until 5:00 at the office, then come home and actually be "available" to my children. Plus, I think JD will have a great time in the After School Program. He's used to playing all day everyday, and when he starts school, he'll have a 30-minute recess and the rest is learning time. So I think he'll enjoy the time to play with his friends after school. Right? That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

While I still battle with this, I'm trusting God. He'll let me know what I need to do, if it's anything different.

No comments: