Welcome


Never a dull moment at the Blair household! Check back often or sign up to get email notices so you can stay up on what's happening in this crazy little life!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sunday at the Paralympics, London

I'd better complete my entries for my last days in London before time gets too far past me. I was keeping up my blog pretty well while I was in London, but then on Friday (or maybe it was Saturday??), the internet stopped working. So now I'm having to go back and remember. And if you know me, you know my memory stinks. Which is why I'm doing a blog -- to remember.

So Saturday we had a free day to ourselves to do what we wanted around the city. Sunday, it was back to the schedule. We got up Sunday morning and headed out to Olympic park and for the first time, we went to the basketball arena where they were playing rugby. We got to see the USA play against Japan for Bronze. What an exciting game!


 First, let me explain Paralympics Rugby. While it certainly has elements of what we all know as rugby, it also has elements of basketball, soccer, football and bumper cars. The guys play in wheelchairs and they use a round ball (like basketball or soccer). They throw the ball to each other as they head down field toward the other team's goal (soccer or football) but once they cross center field, they can't cross back over (basketball). What we weren't expecting was that they're sort of expected to score on every possession (basketball) unlike football or soccer where they have to fight for the rare touchdown or goal scored. All the while, they ram into each other in their wheelchairs, using them as blocking devices (bumper cars), doing it so fiercly that they blow out their tires. Right there in the middle of court, they call timeout and the pit crew comes out and changes the tire.

Rugby was an exciting game to watch and even more exciting because we got to see the USA win the Bronze medal. And if that wasn't exciting.....

We headed over to the Family Lounge to eat lunch (which was terrible that day!!) and while we were trying to decide what to do next and when to leave, a security guard walked over to us and said quietly "You're about to get a bird's eye view of Prince Edward. He's on his way in." About 1 minute later, there he was, walking through the door right behind us. I froze. I was totally starstruck. So everyone threw their cameras at me and walked over to him. Pictures? I can do pictures. Talk to a real-life Prince? Not so much. What am I gonna say? "So Prince Edward, how does it feel to be Prince Charming?" What a dork. So I just hung out in the corner playing papparazzi while the other girls hung around and talked with him. Kelli included.




Finally, Kelli motioned to me to move over and get in the picture. Uh-uh, I shook my head. Again, what am I going to say? She motioned again. And again. Finally I moved over a couple of feet, but still not close enough to talk to him. I was so giddy and excited, I just giggled when she took the picture -- with him over my shoulder about 4 feet away.


After the Prince Edward excitement, Kelli and I rushed out of Olympic Park and headed back to the hotel so Kelli could change shirts and we could meet back up with Cheryle (US Olympic Committee staff that was co-hosting our Hartford group). Then we headed to church. It's Sunday. What better way to spend part of the day than to worship God at the Hillsong Church. Kelli and I were so excited about getting to experience that. (It's not First Baptist Castroville, but it'll do. :)

Hillsong Church's music was awesome! It was like a rock concert. We walked in and the energy was amazing. The service is held at the Dominion Theater. They don't have shows on Sundays so Hillsong rents it out for their church service. The place was packed. At that point, I was really wishing Bud could be there - I know he would have loved the music. The message was good too. They had a guest pastor from America and his message was about unforgiveness. It was a good message. The rest of the service was uncomfortable though. They asked for money way too much - passing the buckets twice in the service, and even had their own commercial on how to tithe using your smartphone.

After church, we headed straight to dinner. We had a nice dinner scheduled for our last night. We ate at Jamie's which is Jamie Oliver's restaurant at Westfield Mall, one of the entrances to Olympic Park. I had black truffle risotto and Kelli had a steak. It was delicious. During dinner, I sat next to a Paralympic Athlete who won Silver in the Long Jump at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. He now works for the US Olympic Committee and does keynote speaking. He's a great inspiration and it was so nice getting to talk with him. I learned that he was an Olympic athlete back in the 90s and was training for the Olympics while serving in the US Army. While practicing the hurdles for the 1992 Olympic trials, he fell and dislocated his knee very badly; his femur bone was sticking out the side of his leg. After 5 days in the hospital, the doctors recommended that he have the leg amputated, or live the rest of his life in a wheelchair. He followed the doctors recommendation and now he has a prosthetic on his left leg. That didn't stop him though - he's now a Paralympic medalist. It was so inspiring having the chance to talk to him.

As a mom, I've always feared something terrible happening to one of my boys. Strange as it may be, I've even contemplated what would happen if one of them lost a limb. Honestly, after having spent a week at the Paralympics, met some athletes face to face, that fear is diminished. If something like that were to happen to my boys, it would not be the end of the world. It could actually be the beginning of a whole new world for them. Not that I want anything like that to happen, but if it did, I wouldn't be so scared anymore.

Closing ceremonies were that night too (long day, I know). Coldplay, Beyonce, JayZ and Rihanna performed. What a production!!! I've never seen anything like it before. It was like a circus/parade/concert. Things were going on everywhere - there was always something to look at. Coldplay's performance was very good; the crowd really got into it. From what I hear, one of the best concerts ever (I'm not a concert go-er so I wouldn't really know). I also got to see every country's flag carried into the stadium. What an honor to experience something like that first hand.

Kelli took this beautiful picture. Definitely postcard-worthy!

The fireworks show was amazing.

I'm already a little sad that I probably won't have the chance to go to Rio de Janiero for the 2016 Olympics. This was such an amazing experience that I would recommend anyone to go. And if you have the chance to go, choose the Paralympics over the Olympics. I'm telling you - it will change your perspective on life. Totally worth it!

Big thanks to Hartford for giving me this chance of a lifetime. I'm honored and blessed.

No comments: